Wednesday, September 5, 2007

In Wuhan...and my feet feel GOOD!

Today was a busy day of travel...

Up at 4 am, off to the Beijing airport...then arriving in our beloved Wuhan to see our "Chinese Family." These dear people love us, treat us like their blood relation and make our time here so very, very special. The picture is of us with them in their home where they served us a marvelous Chinese meal, we enjoyed some music together and some very profound discussion.

Arriving in Wuhan was very emotional for Daddy and I. It felt so familiar. Certainly because we were just here a little over a year ago receiving our precious Potato...but it is more than that...this place is foundational for our family....like the old birthing suite at the hospital...our family expanded here through the incredible, indescribable experience of adoption and its going to again.

Pulling into the hotel, being greeted by the staff and then walking into our suite after following the familiar royal blue carpet in the hallway...we saw it...the crib that has been placed in the room for our son. Moments like this...steal your breath. When something you've been working toward, trusting God to do...when they get really near like this...it's powerful.

Still today, my arms do not know his little body. I am not familiar with the weight of him on my lap or the sound of his voice or the appearance of his big toes...but he is CLOSER. Even tonight...I am sort of out of breath and how close he is...and how all our lives with change forever in just a few short days, inside this familiar hotel.

I am missing our oldest daughter, Butterfly. She is the most superb traveler. No squatty potty ever phased her. I missing my mom, who's been present at every "birth" of her grandchildren...but finally I'm feeling the ache of missing my boy...my son.

When we were in Beijing at the Foster home, one child really took an interest in me. He kept coming up to me, taking my hand and asking me to play with him. Of course he was darling. A heart baby who stole my heart. And a boy who left a little whole in my heart...where my son will soon take up space.

Are we ready? Daddy was so happy to be in Wuhan today...we were both so emotional...but ready??? Can a family ever truly be ready for a completely unique, utterly fantastic blessing to walk through the door?

The night ended with one of my favorite things in China...a foot massage. All though, foot massage is such a misnomer. The massage is for your back, neck, head, arms, feet, calves, thighs...90 minutes worth...for only 36 Yuan...about $5...Had to post a few of the pictures...

Off to Yichang tomorrow...to see the 3 Gorges Dam on the Yangtze river...it is also the birthplace and residence of our Isaiah...wonder if he'll be able to feel how close his family finally is?

Pray for a 5 hour bus ride, important conversations during the 2 day excursion and rest for the travelers...

Not much longer Isaiah...and you see us for yourself...

3 comments:

Nettie said...

As always, praying for you my dear friend. I can't help but have tears in my eyes in reading this post -- I feel your ache and your joy.
He is with you ... in every single unimaginable moment -- He is there ...
Love you!!!!
Nettie and Co ....

PS - My sweet Mattie started Kindergarten today ... another heart aching for an entirely selfish reason!

Anonymous said...

You continue to be in our prayers! It is such fun to read your blog and see the fun pictures. What an experience for your family. A trip full of fun and wonderful memories. But most of all the gift of a precious child that awaits you. Love you all! Guy, Linda, Jeff and Jamie

Anonymous said...

Oh yes! The very thought of such a massage made me feel better. My foot is still a bit ouchy.

Grandma Deanie